Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Of Hollywood and Elizabeth Taylor

Well, another of the old timers and Hollywood icons has left us.  Elizabeth Taylor passed on today.

What can I say? I was born in L.A. and grew up in Southern California. Hollywood and the allure of the culture is in my DNA.   I follow events and things going on all the time...have since we left there in 1963.  Just can't NOT do it.

My own mom ran away from her midwest home in the 40's and came to Hollywood...when there were lots and lots of orange groves and Hollywood was 'becoming.'   She ran with the wild bunch and used to tell me stories...she dated a choreographer for a while. I remember going deep sea fishing out of San Pedro with her choreographer friend, when I was really small..she'd wrap me in a quilt early in the a.m. when we had to get up to get onboard and head out to sea. ..she had many friends "in the business."   But at some point realized it's not the life to raise a youngster, and moved to Riverside via LaPuente and a few other small towns...at the time....we lived in Elsinore for a while by the grace of a fellow she'd met along the way.  He was a wonderful 'father figure' to my mom and took care of us, even after mom re-married.  He was Kirk Douglas's uncle...so you see?  Many connections.

I think those stories of mom's early life in California have stuck with me and thus the fascination with Hollywood and the ilk.

I am sorry to see La Liz leave us..however I have to imagine her last years haven't been the best for her. A legend. One of the few remaining!   Wishes for fond memories to her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment